Silhouette shooting involves firing at steel targets shaped like chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams from various distances depending on the specific match. Unlike most conventional target games that utilize paper targets and numerical scoring rings, every shot fired at a metallic silhouette produces an immediate and clearly visible and audible result. It is either a hit or a miss.
All of the following metallic silhouette shooting events held at Zia, whether using rifles or handguns, are fired standing from the unsupported off hand position. Accessories such as adjustable or hooked butt plates, palm rests, shooting coats, or slings are not allowed. The Rimfire Benchrest Silhouette match is the exception.
At Zia Rifle and Pistol Club, we have a variety of Metallic Silhouette matches. Each has its own firearms and sights requirements, scale of targets, and distance to targets. All Zia silhouette matches are 40 shot matches.
- Smallbore Silhouette – Standard and Hunting rifle classes
- Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette – Centerfire and Rimfire
- Long Range Pistol Silhouette
- Hunter’s Pistol Silhouette – Centerfire and Rimfire, iron sight and any sight classes
- Pistol Caliber Levergun Silhouette – Centerfire and Rimfire
- Cast Bullet Rifle Silhouette
Please visit the webpages for the various Silhouette activites for details about each Match, including equipment requirements, targets used, distances shot, scheduled match time, and contact information. At this time, there is no charge to participate. All silhouette matches are open to Zia members and their guests.