To view recent Sporting Clays results, click here.
Note: Casual shooting is available to Zia members anytime the shotgun range is not being used for formal activities or closed for maintenance or some other reason. We have several Lincoln manual clay traps in place and available on the shotgun range. A patterning board located down range on the shotgun range is available for patterning a shotgun. Members, their guests and families are welcome to use the facilities on a first come, first serve basis. The club does not provide consumables for casual shooting such as clay birds but they can be purchased locally at sporting goods stores.
Sporting Clays is normally on the third Sunday of every month – refer to the Zia activity calendar for details. Sporting Clays has a variety of target presentations thrown for each of 12 shooting stations. In Sporting Clays, shooting squads are formed with each squad member getting to shoot a predetermined number of targets from each station. At each station a menu card will explain the sequence of targets for that station.
No two Sporting Clays courses are exactly alike. Currently Zia offers a monthly 100 target Sporting Clays shotgun activity. Cost is $15 for members, $25 for non-members, and children/relatives of Zia members 21 years old or younger shoot for free.
To implement a smoother sign up for Sporting Clays, an email sign up system is in place. Sporting clays shooters are encouraged to use this email process. “Sign up” can be for a squad of up to 6 (max) shooters or as individuals. Please send your “sign up” prior to the day before the shoot to ensure your squad will be processed for that shoot. The email address for this procedure is firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply identify yourself and list your shooters in the desired sequence. Your squad will be pre-assigned and fees will be collected at the shoot.
Shotgun Range Safety Rules
- Do not use any firearm other than a shotgun on the shotgun range.
- Only shot size 7-1/2, 8, or 9 is permitted.
- When moving between stations, or around the range, shotguns shall be unloaded and the action open.
- Clean up the range after shooting. Pick up all empty shells, cardboard cases, etc.
- Eye and ear protection is required.
- During casual shooting with more than one group shooting, establish appropriate range communication/range control between shooting groups.
- Steel shot is not to be fired at the patterning board and a minimum distance to fire at the patterning board is 20 yards.
- Fire in the direction of west to south between the white marking posts.
- See the Member Guidebook for additional specific information as to the use of shotgun range.